Sunday, March 29, 2009

Refuel by Doug Fields




Title:
Refuel: An Uncomplicated Guide to Connecting with God by Doug Fields

Pages:
132.

How it was obtained:
I purchased it online from Simply Youth Ministry.

Time spent on the "to read" shelf:
Maybe a week.

Days spent reading it:
4 days.

Why I read it:
I use a lot of Doug Fields' stuff in my youth ministry. I have a lot of respect for him, and I was really interested in his take on refueling our spiritual walks.

Brief review:
This is a must read book. I simply loved it. I cannot praise it enough. Refuel is about the busyness of life and how that busyness attacks our intimacy with God. Doug Fields writes a very simple, very clear book that offers 3 simple ways to connect with God despite our busyness. 1. Stop. 2. Be Quiet. 3. Make a Connection. It could not be simpler, and it could not be more appropriate for our culture.

This book is practical and insightful. It should be read over a few days. We need to allow the ideas to digest and make their way into our lives. Doug Fields has great advice that we can implement into our lives immediately. Best of all, its a short book. Doug Fields makes his point and leaves us with time to implement the ideas he gives.

For example, in his chapter about stopping Fields suggests that we take a few moments of everyday to stop and let God talk to us. Whether it is when you start your car (pause, reflect, then put your car in drive) or tying your shoes. Whatever works for you, we need to stop being busy and let God enter our lives. Very personal and practical.

I like this book so much that we are giving a copy to each of our graduating seniors this year.
This book came at a great time for me. I really wanted a book that would challenge me and encourage me to walk close with God. This book fit that bill perfectly.

I HIGHLY recommend.

Favorite quote:
"Connecting with Jesus is a better choice than busyness."

Stars:
5 out of 5.

Final Word:
Realistic.

No comments: