Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner


The Thief (The Queen's Thief, Book 1) 
Title: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Pages: 220

How it was obtained: Library.

Time spent on the "to read" shelf: 3 days.

Days spent reading it: 2 days.

Why I read it: I read a sample chapter on my kindle and it was interesting.

Brief review: I was really interested in this book after reading the first few chapters on my kindle. I thought this was a book that had a lot of potential. The Thief is set in a fictitious nation called Attolia. I believe it is loosely based on ancient Greece at the height of its power. The main character, Gen, is a wonderful narrator. His counterpart, the magus, is a believable and interesting character as well.

As I was reading The Thief, I thought the pace was a little slow. I guess I did not think there was enough adventure throughout this tale. However, I must admit, the last few chapters redeemed this book for me. There are some fantastic turns and developments during the falling action of this novel.

I think anyone who is interested in young adult fantasy type novels would enjoy this little tale. There is a whole series the stems from this first novel. I do not think I will start reading them just yet, but would consider them when I have caught up on some of my reading lists.

Favorite quote: "It is too bad for you that intelligence does not always attend gifts such as yours, and fortunate for me that it is not your intelligence I am interested in, but your skill. If you are as good as you say you are."

Stars: 4 out of 5.

Final Word: Unexpected.

No comments: