Friday, February 13, 2009

Book 14: Faerie Lord by Herbie Brennan




Title:
Faerie Lord by Herbie Brennan

Pages:
430.

How it was obtained:
I bought it for Susan last Christmas, knowing I would probably get to read it one day too.

Time spent on the "to read" shelf:
1 year.

Days spent reading it:
4 days.

Why I read it:
To finish up the Faerie Wars Chronicles. I was very impressed with the last 3 installments, and this is the concluding chapter.

Brief review:
Faerie Lord is the final installment of the Faerie Wars series. I loved the first three books and looked forward to this concluding episode. I wrote about Herbie Brennan in my review of Ruler of the Realm. I generally enjoy his style. It is very quick flowing and has tons of great plot twists.

Unfortunately Faerie Lord was not as coherent or creative as the previous installments in this series. The basic plot revolves around a sudden epidemic of a time disease. The disease was interesting, it basically stole the future of the person who was infected a few years at a time. It is a little more complicated than that, but I'm having trouble explaining it, so I won't. How will Henry and the gang respond to this epidemic? Will they be successful or will the entire realm be infected and die in a few years? Only time will tell.

This book had twists, but they were not very smooth. The overall plot came together, but was not well developed in my opinion. I think Herbie Brennan can be a great writer, I read a review that said this book felt rushed. That's exactly how I felt once I saw those words. There was much more that could have been done to make this a great book. Instead, it was only a decent conclusion to a great series.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoyed the series, but don't expect it to be as good as its predecessors. It does give a solid conclusion to the series, but has enough open holes that if Herbie Brennan wanted to write more in the series he definitely could. If you haven't liked the series through the first three books, this book will not change your mind.

Favorite quote:
"He was doing something, which was always better than talking about doing something."

Stars:
3 out of 5.

Final Word:
Unpolished.

No comments: